Monday, April 8, 2013

Snowflakes

In thinking about Autism Awareness Month (April), Autism Awareness Day (April 2nd), and World Down Syndrome Day (March 21st), I started thinking about our culture and society... I know, right?

So here's what I've been thinking about...

During the winter season, we are always talking about how amazing snowflakes are. Each and every one of them is different and unique- there isn't a single one that is the same. 
~And a quick little side rant, I don't understand how people can see that and not believe in God?! I mean, really!

But back to my point....
So we all talk about how amazing it is that each snowflake is different and unique, yet when it comes to people, uniqueness is typically frowned upon. We, as a society, are so prone to encourage conformity. Sure, people can say "oh I listen to different music than all of my friends, so I am not conforming to their styles" or "I shop at boutiques but my friends shop at American Eagle so I dress unique," and you can say whatever you want, but when it comes to personalities, our society encourages conformity.

Why is that? Why should we encourage people to all be the same? Why would we want everyone to be the same? Why do we push away uniqueness and differences when we should be embracing them as something so very special?

Each of us is different in our own ways, we are all made unique, so why hide that? Why worry about what we wear, what we say, how we act, etc. because of what other people will think?! Sure, there are situations where those things do need to be considered as it reflects respect, manners, etc. but in general, why do we as a society care so much about fitting in? 

When it comes to people with intellectual disabilities, they are different. They are unique. They are special. Why is it that we exclude them, we look at them differently, and we roll our eyes at their different attitudes and words? Why do we act like their uniqueness is something to be frowned upon, when it surely is not! Don't get me wrong, I would never wish for someone to have an intellectual disability- it is a very hard life and obviously it is not exactly ideal- but we shouldn't frown upon their differences.

No, it is not an easy life for them or for their families, but who are we to make their lives harder by judging them, excluding them, making fun of them, mocking them, ignoring them, and treating them like they don't deserve the same love and respect as every other human being? How cruel are we to say that they aren't good enough?! To be honest with you, many people that I have met with ID's are much funnier, sweeter, harder working, responsible, and all around better people than a lot of other people without disabilities that I know! So who are we to frown upon that?! Who are we to say that their uniqueness is a bad thing?!

Regardless of if you have an ID or not, we as a society should embrace everyone's differences as something beautiful. God created us all to be different- to encourage, inspire, and love one another. So rather than judging each other's differences, let's love each other's differences. Let's shout to the world that I AM DIFFERENT AND I AM PROUD OF IT! Let's talk about how amazing our differences are, just like we do with snowflakes. Let's give God the glory for crafting us each specially and embrace our own differences and the differences of those around us. Rather than tolerating everyone's differences, let's accept them and love them. Let's display them for the world to see. Without our unique differences, who are we? If we try to fit in with everyone and conform to their likeness, then really, we are just trying to be someone we are not. Let's be proud of who we are, love ourselves and our uniqueness, and love everyone else's too. 

Let's talk about how beautiful each of our differences are just like we talk about snowflakes.


That's my latest rant. I hope you enjoyed it. 

Have a good week!

LJ

P.S. Don't forget that this month is Autism Awareness Month. Let's encourage inclusion and acceptance of all of God's children and continue to explore ways to help children and people with disabilities all around the world.

1 comment:

  1. Love your perspective. I think you really "get it" and I think you are and always will be a warrior for this cause! You are really becoming an amazing writer and I have seen so much new maturity and growth in you these past few years. I'm proud of you

    ReplyDelete